UPS (United Parcel Service) is a globally known company specializing in package deliveries, operating in more than 200 countries. Their drivers are the backbone of their operation, working tirelessly to ensure that packages are delivered safely and on time.
UPS drivers put in a great deal of effort and work in all types of weather conditions to make sure their customers receive their packages timely and in good condition. You may feel inclined to tip your UPS driver for their exceptional service or as a token of appreciation for their hard work.
However, the question is, are you allowed to tip them? In short, the answer is yes! You are allowed to tip your UPS driver, although they are encouraged by their company to politely decline.
Some of our readers have informed us that most UPS drivers generally accept tips (typically within the $5 to $10 range) with a smile and are grateful for the thought. In this article, we’ll talk about UPS’ tipping policies, average tipping amounts, reasons for tipping UPS drivers, and how you can do this.
Can You Tip UPS Drivers?
As we further explore the topic of tipping UPS drivers, it’s important to mention that UPS does not have an official tipping policy. On these grounds, UPS drivers are not prohibited from accepting tips.
However, the company encourages drivers to politely decline any form of gratuities. As this recommendation is not enforced by the company, drivers may accept tips at their own discretion. There is also no minimum or maximum limit on how much you can tip.
It’s also worth noting that you’re not required to tip UPS drivers, regardless of the situation. Nevertheless, many people choose to do so for various reasons, such as showing appreciation for a job well done, supporting drivers in times of hardship, or building a good relationship with their regular driver.
How Much You Should Tip Your UPS Driver
If you want to tip your UPS driver, a good range to consider is between $5 to $30, depending on your budget. Gifts are also an option, but they should not exceed the value of the tipping range.
Technically, there is no maximum limit for tipping by UPS’ policies or state laws, so the amount you decide to give is at your discretion. When deciding on the amount to tip, it’s essential to avoid tipping too little or too much, as this may make the driver more inclined to reject it.
A modest tip, given with a sincere “Thank You”, is usually well-received and much appreciated by UPS drivers.
When to Tip UPS Drivers
Tipping your UPS driver is only possible during delivery. You won’t be able to tip them before or after the delivery, so it’s important to have the cash or gift ready when they arrive.
When the driver arrives, you can hand them the tip directly or provide it in a sealed envelope. A sealed envelope is typically the preferred method, as it may be more discreet.
If you choose to give a gift instead of cash, it’s best to have it prepared in advance and give it to the driver when they arrive. When giving gifts, be prepared to tell them what to expect, as some UPS drivers may be hesitant at first.
In the following section, we will discuss the different ways you can tip your UPS driver, including cash, gift cards, and other gift options.
How to Tip Your UPS Driver
There is no official way to tip your UPS driver, but there are a few options you can consider, such as handing the tip directly to the driver or leaving a marked envelope on your doorstep. We have explained how to tip your UPS driver below for both situations.
Tipping UPS Drivers In Person
If you choose to tip your UPS driver in person, there are a few steps you can follow to make the process more meaningful to them.
- Determine the appropriate tip amount: The amount you choose to tip your UPS driver should depend on the amount you’re willing to give. In times of hardship, during the holiday season, or if the driver went above and beyond to ensure your package was delivered safely and on time, you may want to consider a higher tip amount.
- Prepare an envelope: Once you’ve decided on the tip amount, prepare an envelope with the tip inside. You can also include a “Thank You” message or a message of appreciation on the envelope if you’d like.
- Greet the driver: When the driver arrives, greet them with a friendly smile and thank them for their service. It’s important to show respect and gratitude towards your driver, as they work hard to ensure your packages are delivered safely.
- Hand them the envelope: Once you’ve greeted the driver, hand them the envelope with the tip inside. You can express your appreciation verbally or simply hand over the envelope with a smile.
Tipping UPS driver By Leaving An Envelope
Here are the steps you can take if you choose to tip your driver by leaving an envelope on your porch or at your doorstep.
- Determine the appropriate tip amount: The best way to determine the right amount of tip is to gauge the level of service provided and your budget.
- Prepare an envelope: Once you’ve decided on the tip amount, place the tip in the selected envelope. As previously explained, you have the option to include an appreciation message on the envelope. Ensure that the envelope is sealed properly.
- Choose a conspicuous location to place the envelope: Choose a location where you can easily leave the envelope for the driver to see. A common location is near the front door or mailbox, but you can also leave it on a visible windowsill or porch railing. Just make sure the envelope is clearly visible, protected from rain, and won’t be mistaken.
- Check if the envelope was taken: After a few hours, check to see if the envelope has been taken. If it’s gone, it’s safe to assume that the driver has received your tip. If it’s still there, you can either leave it for another day or consider tipping the driver in person the next time instead.
Common Reasons Why People Tip Their UPS Drivers
There are multiple reasons why individuals choose to show their appreciation to their UPS drivers through tipping. Some common reasons include:
To Show Appreciation
Many people tip their UPS drivers as a form of gratitude for their excellent service, which may include waiting for you to sign and collect, being polite, or going above and beyond to ensure that your package is delivered safely.
During The Holiday Season
As the holiday season, such as Christmas and Thanks Giving, are a time of giving, tipping UPS drivers is a common way to express gratitude. People often appreciate the hard work and dedication that drivers put into their job, especially during the holiday season when labor is scarce and carriers deal with excessive deliveries.
UPS drivers may provide additional services, such as protecting packages during rainy days, following special delivery instructions, or carrying heavy packages which go beyond their usual duties. In such cases, tipping is a way to show appreciation for their efforts.
During challenging times, such as labor shortages, outbreaks, or recessions, UPS drivers may experience additional pressure while delivering packages or in their personal life. Tipping during these times is a way to support drivers who may be struggling financially.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we will address some of the most frequently asked questions on tipping UPS drivers. Whether you’re uncertain about the appropriate amount to tip or wondering about the best way to show your appreciation, this section will provide helpful guidance.
Can I Tip My UPS Driver to Schedule an Earlier Delivery?
It’s important to note that tipping your UPS driver to schedule an earlier delivery is not allowed and also not possible. This could be seen as bribery, which is strictly prohibited by UPS.
Additionally, the driver could face disciplinary action from the company. It’s also worth noting that the tip you provide may not necessarily go to the specific driver assigned to your package.
Therefore, it’s best to refrain from attempting to use tips to expedite delivery times and instead work with UPS directly to make any necessary changes to your delivery schedule.
Are There Certain States That Don’t Allow Tipping?
Tipping is a common practice in the United States, and no states prohibit tipping. It’s a way to show appreciation for good service or to support drivers during times of uncertainty.
You may tip your UPS driver any amount you wish, as there is no minimum or maximum tipping amount. It’s ultimately up to the recipient of the package to express their wish to give and the driver to decide whether to accept the tip.
Follow us on
Co-Founder & Writer
About the Author
Gerrit is a certified international supply chain management professional with 16 years of industry experience, having worked for one of the largest global freight forwarders.
As the co-founder of freightcourse, he’s committed to his passion for serving as a source of education and information on various supply chain topics.