AliExpress is one of the most established e-Commerce platforms that millions of buyers flock to due to its affordable pricing and trendy products. Many people also favor AliExpress for its straightforward layout and hassle-free return policy.
AliExpress allows buyers to return items for free up to 15 days after receiving them. Furthermore, they can make up to three free returns a month. While they are open about their return policy, many buyers are still unfamiliar with the terms and the overall return process.
In this article, we will share a step-by-step guide on how to return items from AliExpress, delve a little deeper into their return policy, and offer key insights about refunds. We will also answer some frequently asked questions related to this topic.
Steps to Returning Items on AliExpress
Initiating an item return on AliExpress is a relatively straightforward process. The platform has set it up to be as simple and easy as possible. We have outlined the step-by-step process that you can follow below.
- Confirm that you’ve received your AliExpress items. Review whether you really want to return the item.
- If you have chosen to make the return, access your AliExpress account on desktop or mobile. Navigate to the “My Orders” section.
- Scroll through the list of your past orders until you find the order you wish to return. Then, click the “View Details” option.
- The next page should display your order details. Scroll down the page and select the “Open Dispute” button beside the item name.
- You should now see two buttons titled, “Refund Only” and “Return & Refund”. Select the “Return & Refund” button to initiate the return process.
- The next page will allow you to enter details regarding your dispute. Click the box under the “I want to apply for” section and select “Return Goods”.
- Click the box under the “Reason for refund request” section and choose the reason that best describes your case. The options are: Easy Local Returns, Personal Reasons, Shipping method was not as described, Quality problems, Damaged goods, Quality shortage, Received counterfeit goods, and Problems with the accessories.
- You can also type out a detailed paragraph about why you’re returning the product in the box above the “Please provide clear reasons for your refund”.
- You can also upload pictures or videos of the product that illustrate why you’re making the return. To do this, click the “Browse” or “Add Video” buttons under the “Please upload your evidence” section.
- Now you can submit your application for your free return. AliExpress will then take a few days to review your dispute and come to a decision. If everything works out, they will send you a return label you can print.
- Print out this return label, stick it onto the package box, and drop it off at the designated service center or locker. Alternatively, you can give it to a courier if you chose the door-to-door pick-up option. Once you’ve done this, AliExpress will take care of the rest.
Returning Without Free Returns
Certain AliExpress items are not applicable to the free return policy. This usually applies to small items whereby the retail price is comparable to or smaller than the shipping cost or if you’ve exceeded the 3 items threshold of free returns per month.
If the item is of insignificant value, it may be best to simply keep the item. If you believe you’ve received an incorrect item or one that does not meet the seller’s specifications, you can ask for a refund.
Similarly, if the 15-day period has elapsed, you will no longer be eligible for free returns. To perform a normal return, you must navigate to the “My Orders” section on your AliExpress account and open a dispute. Choose the return with a full refund option.
Next, repack your item in its original packaging and include the seller’s address on it. Now you should send it back to China via registered mail. You can then provide the seller with the courier company’s details and tracking number.
AliExpress Return Locations
Once you have your package ready, you can choose where you would like to make the return. You can drop it off at either one of AliExpress’ predetermined locations. Alternatively, you can have your return package picked up through their nominated logistics companies.
Below you’ll find a list of drop-off locations and pickup services. Please note that there are different logistics companies depending on the country you live in.
Drop-off locations are typically located at specific post offices that have partnered with AliExpress to accept their package returns. As such, there are dedicated drop-off locations in different countries. Refer to the below table to learn where your nearest drop-off location is.
|+603 8847 9045
|+32 70 22 22 22
|+55 61 3003 0100
|Correos de Chile
|+49 228 4 333 112
|+076 887 1208
|+49 228 4 333 112
|+351 21 047 16 16
|+48 722 444 000 / +48 746 600 000
|+380 67 400 34 00
AliExpress has also partnered up with logistics companies that provide door-to-door pickup services. Once you organize a pickup request, a logistics agent will collect the return package from your address.
The different couriers that AliExpress has chosen for each country are shown in the table below.
|+420 225 331 500
|+82 2 2195 1114
|+41 848 888 888
|United Arab Emirates
AliExpress Return Policy
AliExpress’s Return Policy varies depending on whether there is a “Free Return” option associated with the item. If your item has this option, you can return the item within 15 days of receiving it without the need to provide a reason.
The item must be unused and undamaged for you to qualify for this free return. You must also ensure you return the item in its original packaging with all the labels and seals intact.
Reasons For Returning Items on AliExpress
You can return your AliExpress item for just about any reason. It’s important to note that AliExpress requires you to select a reason in their return form, however, they do not withhold any returns requests within the 15-day period. Below, you’ll find some of the most common reasons you want to return your AliExpress items.
- You Have a Change of Mind – It’s not uncommon for people to change their minds about wanting a product after receiving it. In other cases, they may have found a different listing that better matches what they were looking for.
- The Item Is Not as Described – It’s possible for an AliExpress item to not match the description the seller originally put up. This could be differences in size, quality, color, or other description aspects from what was originally advertised. Such mistakes typically occur with apparel such as caps, shirts, and belts.
- The Item Is Damaged – Items may sustain damages while being shipped to you. In some cases, the seller may have sent you a damaged item without realizing it. Such damage includes scuff marks, scratches, and broken pieces.
- The Item Has Defects – The item you have received might be defective and may not even work at all. For example, you may have ordered toy robots that don’t move because their parts were fitted improperly or have defective circuit boards.
- The Item Is No Longer Required – Another reason could be you received an item you no longer need. This often occurs if the item’s shipping was delayed for a long period. For example, you may have ordered party supplies for someone’s birthday, only to receive them the day after the event.
What Happens After An Item Is Returned?
Items returned to AliExpress typically go through various stages before they end up back at the seller. We have detailed this process below.
Warehouse Receives Package
After dropping the item off at the designated service locations or handing it to the courier agent, it is delivered to the seller. The seller then takes the items back into possession and decides to put them back into inventory or discard them.
Refund Is Processed
If the warehouse staff determines your returned item to be in good condition or that it was damaged as you described, they will process your refund. You should then receive your money back within 3 to 20 days.
If you have returned your items without specifying that they were damaged or it was damaged during transportation, the seller will investigate and review your case before reaching a decision about whether to grant you your refund.
If the seller refuses to refund your order, you may escalate your case to the AliExpress support team, who will investigate further and provide you with more details.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have received various questions regarding AliExpress returns and have answered some of the most common ones below. If you have any related questions that are not mentioned below, feel free to write to us.
Can I Request For An Exchange Instead Of Returning My Item?
AliExpress doesn’t allow you to exchange an item. However, you can indirectly make an exchange by first returning the item, receiving your refund, and then ordering your desired item.
One major advantage of using this approach is that you won’t be restricted to using the same seller when you set out to make your new purchase.
How Many Free Returns Do I Get?
AliExpress allows you to use their free return policy a maximum of three times per month. This means you can request three different returns during each monthly cycle.
You should note that AliExpress’s system produces only one return label for each order you have made. This means you can return only one item at a time, even if your order contains multiple items.
If you wish to return the rest of the items as well, it would be at your own cost and subject to the reason or the seller’s acceptance.
What Happens After I Run Out of Free Returns?
Once you have used up all three return requests in the month, you will need to pay shipping costs for any further returns. Additionally, your items need to meet AliExpress’ return conditions.
It is still important to contact the seller and AliExpress and check if they will accept the return if you opt to pay for the shipping costs.
Can I Return an Item After the 15-Day Period?
You won’t be allowed to utilize the free return policy once the 15-day period has passed. However, you can contact the seller and ask them if they would be willing to accept a return if you pay for the shipping costs.
In this situation, the final decision would be up to the seller as the official order status is completed and closed in the system.
Get Free Course Access
If you enjoyed the article, don’t miss out on our free supply chain courses that help you stay ahead in your industry.
Head of Marketing
About the Author
Agnes is the Head of Marketing at freightcourse and seamlessly blends her strong background in content management with strategic marketing expertise.
She brings a wealth of knowledge to readers, specializing in various e-commerce topics such as order fulfillments, purchasing, payments, and more.