You might have seen the term “NIP” used in some eBay listing titles – but what exactly does it stand for? The acronym “NIP” actually means “New In Package”, which explains why most items found using this abbreviation are placed under the “Brand New” category.
eBay listings with a “New In Package” suffix or prefix imply that they are brand new, unopened, and in the original packaging. Some eBay sellers may even use terms such as “unopened” or “mint” to describe the NIP items that they are listing.
Such items are put up in their original packaging and oftentimes are indistinguishable from those found at retail stores, as they are brand new and have never been opened or used before.
In the image above, you’ll be able to see an actual item on eBay that has been listed as brand new with the suffix “New in Package”. As you can see, they look like regular eBay listings.
In this article, we’ll go over everything you need to know about NIP listings on eBay and also what to look out for when purchasing them. In the last section of our guide, we will also teach you how to find these listings on eBay.
What Items Are Typically Listed as New In Package (NIP)?
You can find many types of NIP products on eBay, as there are no strict criteria dictating what product type can or can’t be listed with this condition. However, there are several categories of items that are more frequently found as New In Package on eBay. Let’s take a closer look at some of these product categories.
- Electronics – One of the more common items you’ll find on eBay that is listed as New In Package are electronics. This includes SD cards, rare digital cameras, fresh films, and more. You may also come across console or computer games that are listed with their original packaging.
- Tools & Equipment – Power tool, hardware, and equipment is also often found listed as NIP, meaning that they are being sold brand new, in the original retail packaging.
- Clothes – It’s not unusual to see clothes listed as NIP on eBay. You can find almost any clothing items such as sweaters, tops, pants, and even brand-new undergarments. Rare clothes like a Palm Angels tee shirt and Ralph Lauren briefs are among some of the listed items.
- Toys & Collectibles– Another item you’d find listed as NIP on eBay is toys. Toys and collectibles like playsets, action figures, dolls, or die-cast scale model cars are the few NIP items that you can find. Barbie dolls and their accessories are also popular items you’d find listed as NIP on eBay.
- Collectibles – Collectibles such as rare figurines, trading cards, limited edition shoes, or watches are among the few common items found on eBay. These items are typically sold for a higher price as they are rare and no longer produced.
- Makeup or Skincare – You can also find makeup and skincare like concealer, foundation, lipstick, toners, and lotions listed as New In Package. Other than that, you may also come across beauty accessories like cosmetic or toiletry bags from well-known brands like Clarins and even Prada. All items are new and come with their original packaging.
Why Do Sellers List Items as New In Package?
Sellers tend to list NIP items because they are generally more appealing than pre-owned items. And while these NIP items are just as good as items sold to customers in retail stores, this isn’t the only reason. Some other reasons why eBay sellers list NIP items include:
- The Item May Have Been an Impulse Buy – The seller may have purchased the item impulsively after seeing it listed at a discounted price. In actuality, they may have realized that they don’t actually need it. Thus, they’ve decided to list it on eBay, in an unused condition, complete with the original packaging.
- To Earn Profit – Many sellers purchase collectible items with the intention of reselling them at a higher price in the future. Items such as trading cards or limited edition shoes are sold only for a specific period, so eBay sellers can charge a higher price for them once they are no longer available in retail stores.
- Decided Not to Use It – Some eBay sellers may purchase items with the intention of using them, but then decide they no longer need them. For example, someone may purchase multiple packs of pipe cleaners before realizing they don’t need to clean their pipe very often. In this situation, they may sell off the extra packets they don’t need.
Why You Should Consider Purchasing Items Listed as NIP?
People seek out NIP items for various reasons. After all, there are many benefits associated with owning a NIP item. In this section, we will discuss some of these reasons.
- You Get a Brand New Item, Typically For a Cheaper Price – Some eBay sellers who bought items in bulk at a discounted rate may then put them up for sale at lower-than-retail prices. eBay buyers seek out such listings because it allows them to buy new items at a lower price.
- Item Is Guaranteed to Be Brand New & Authentic – Items that are in their original and undamaged packaging are guaranteed to be authentic and brand new. They are likely to function just as well as new items sold at retail outlets.
- Some Items Are Limited Edition – Buyers may seek out NIP limited edition items on eBay because they are no longer available in stores. Such eBay listings and other resale marketplaces are the only places in which buyers can purchase these limited edition items in pristine condition.
What You Should Look Out For When Purchasing Items Listed as New in Package
One of the first things we recommend to verify is that the item is in fact brand new and its original retail packaging. You can do this by carefully reviewing the photos the seller added to the listing, as well as the product description.
If you’re unable to determine this from the listing itself, don’t hesitate to ask the seller for more information or photos if you need them. Here are some other things to look out for when purchasing NIP items on eBay.
- Price – It’s not uncommon to see multiple eBay sellers offering the same item in NIP condition. In this situation, you should compare the item’s price on each listing and go with the one that seems most suitable to you.
- Condition of Item – You should also verify that the item is in new condition. You can do this by carefully reviewing the photos in the listing and checking that the packaging is intact. For collectible items, you should check to see that it is in good condition. This means it is free from scratches, dents, or creases.
- Return Policy – It is worth checking if the seller offers a return policy. This return policy could come in handy if you receive your item and notice it isn’t actually NIP as the seller described it to be. You can then return the item to the seller and receive a refund.
How to Find New In Package (NIP) Items on eBay
eBay doesn’t consider New In Package (NIP) to be an official classification. As a result of this, you won’t find “NIP” or “New In Package” in eBay’s search filters. However, there are ways around this by using the search function.
Therefore, most people look for NIP items by adding the “NIP” acronym to eBay searches.
Important Tip: It's worth noting that some film camera sellers use the “NIP” acronym to denote “Negative Image Print”. For this reason, you should consider adding the term “New In Package” to your eBay search query instead, or further filter to your preferred product categories.
In this section, we’ll guide you through how to best find listings on eBay that are New in Package. Simply follow the steps below:
- Start by logging into eBay and locating the search bar on the top of the homepage.
- Type in your desired item’s name, followed by “New In Package” or “NIP” and click “Search” (for example: “DeWalt XRP Hammer Drill Driver New In Package)
- Scroll down the page and see the various listings displayed on the page (you may want to narrow your search results down further by selecting preferred product categories).
- Select the listing that catches your interest and ensure that it contains “New In Package” or “NIP” in the title
- Read the listing description and learn about the item’s condition. You should also check the photos and confirm that the item is brand new with its original packaging.
- If you’re satisfied with the listing and you’ve verified it, simply click the “Buy It Now” or “Add to Cart” button to purchase it.
Follow us on
Co-Founder & Writer
About the Author
Gerrit is a certified international supply chain management professional with 16 years of industry experience, having worked for one of the largest global freight forwarders.
As the co-founder of freightcourse, he’s committed to his passion for serving as a source of education and information on various supply chain topics.