What Does Payment Pending Mean on eBay? (Multiple Reasons Explained)
When shopping on eBay, there are a number of payment methods available that buyers can use to complete their purchases, including credit cards, PayPal, bank transfers, and even electronic checks (e-checks). However, payments may not always be instant.
For example, bank transfers and e-checks may take a few days for the payment to clear, and for international purchases, the process may take even longer. This and various other reasons may show a “Payment Pending” status on eBay. This means that the payment has not yet been fully processed and confirmed by the payment processor or the seller.
In this article, we will discuss several reasons why your payment may be pending on eBay and what actions you can take to speed up the process.
Why Are Payments Pending on eBay?
There are different reasons why payments may be pending on eBay with the most common reason being that the selected payment methods require manual verification from the seller.
The methods in question are typically manual transfers such as e-checks or bank transfers. However, there are also other causes, which we’ll get into more detail below.
- e-Check Payments – electronic checks (also commonly known as e-checks), are a less common payment method these days on eBay. When completing a purchase, it can take a couple of days for the payment to clear, resulting in a “Payment Pending” status. This is because e-checks need to be cleared by the buyer’s bank before the funds are transferred to the seller.
- Bank Transfers – While bank transfers are more or less instant nowadays, the seller is still required to manually check and approve the payment receipt. During this time, the status of the payment will reflect as pending. Once the seller has confirmed the receipt of the payment with the bank, the payment status will be approved and the seller will proceed to ship the order.
- Payment Issues – Payment issues can also occur due to various reasons, such as problems with the payment method, the issuing bank of your credit cards, or payment gateways like PayPal, among others. In this case, the payment is held in the pending status until the issue is resolved.
- Seller’s Acceptance – If the seller has not yet accepted your payment, which is required for some payment methods, the payment will remain pending. In this case, the buyer will need to contact the seller to ensure the payment is accepted if it’s not dealt with in a timely manner.
- Order Cancellation – If the order has been canceled, eBay will issue a refund, and during the refund process, payment may remain pending until the refund is processed, approved, and credited back to you.
- Fraud Detection – If the system flags a transaction as a risk, for example when payments are made outside of your country or through with incorrect details, your payment may also show as pending, until manual investigations from the eBay team are completed. This is done to ensure the safety of the buyers and sellers on the platform.
How to Speed Up Payment Processing
When shopping on eBay, the payment process can sometimes take longer than expected. However, there are various ways to speed this up. Below are some tips and tricks that can help.
1. Use Payment Methods with Shorter Processing Times
Credit card payments (Visa, Mastercard, and American Express) and other payment methods such as PayPal are processed in real time, which means that the payment is processed immediately. This can avoid delays caused by longer processing times, such as e-checks or bank transfers, and the seller will be able to ship your order faster.
2. Ensure That Account Details Are Correct
To avoid delays caused by the system or the seller’s manual verification, you must ensure that your shipping address and billing address are correct. Double-check these details before purchasing to ensure that the payment process goes smoothly.
3. Contact the Seller for Clarification
If your payment status is pending and is taking longer than usual to resolve, it’s a good idea to get in touch with the seller. This can speed up the process as the seller can provide more information or resolve any issues. They may have overlooked your order or may provide you with an update on the pending payment.
4. Get in Touch with eBay’s Customer Support
If the seller cannot help you or is unsure about the payment status, it is best to contact eBay’s customer support team. By contacting the customer support team, you can better understand the situation and speed up the payment process. They will advise you on the best way to move forward.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve also added a frequently asked questions (FAQ) section, where we address questions asked by our readers pertaining to pending payment status on eBay. Please get in touch if you would like to have your questions added to this list.
How Long Do Payment Pending Statuses Last?
Payment pending statuses on eBay typically last somewhere between 2-5 business, until they get resolved. However, take note that the duration of this process can vary depending on the payment method that was selected and whether the transaction is local or international.
However, in situations where the seller needs to take action to accept payment or cancel it, the status may be resolved more quickly. To ensure that the process is completed in a timely manner, it is important to keep an eye on the status and reach out to the seller or eBay support if there are any issues.
What Can I Do If the Payment Is Pending for a Long Time?
If a payment has been pending for a long time, buyers can take several actions to resolve the issue. Start off by contacting the seller to check if any pending requests need to be manually accepted, as they may have accidentally overlooked your order.
They can also check with their bank or payment source to see if the transaction was successful or declined. As a seller, you can check with the buyer to confirm that the payment has been made on their end.
If the status is not resolved, your best bet is to contact eBay support. They will be able to assist you in resolving the issue and ensuring that the payment is successfully processed.
Will My Items Get Shipped If the Payment Is Still Pending?
Orders that have payments pending will not be shipped because sellers will only process and fulfill orders once the payments have been received. This is to ensure that the seller is paid for their items before they are shipped.
If your payment is pending for longer than two days, and your order has not been shipped, we suggest that you either reach out to the seller or the eBay support team to resolve the issue, so your order is shipped as soon as possible.
Co-Founder & Writer
About the Author
Gerrit is a certified international supply chain management professional with 15 years of industry experience, having worked for one of the largest global freight forwarders.
As the co-founder of freightcourse, he’s committed to his passion for serving as a source of education and information on various supply chain topics.